Sunday, February 13, 2022

Canadian Karma

Op Ed by Helge Nome

I brought my family to Canada from Australia in 1987 and discovered a nation that was patting itself on its back about how nice it was, in a world setting.
It didn't take very long to discover what had happened to the indigenous people in the process of nation building.
And over time I discovered that I was living in country with a long colonial history of stresses and strains that has a problem in hanging together as a nation.
There are both regional stresses and strains between the various classes of people in Canadian society that have now been brought to the surface by the pandemic.
And, as in other banana republics and kingdoms, foreign money is very likely flowing in to support the various factions going after each other.
I expect that our indigenous cousins are watching with interest...

No comments: